Sunday, June 17, 2007

What I'm reading right now--

Currently, I am about half-way finished with Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand. So far, I like the book. I'll probably wait until I'm done with it before I comment any further. For those of you unfamiliar with Hand, I highly recommend her book Waking the Moon, which I probably should have listed as one of my favorites.

Now, I've finished reading a few really good things this past week or so:

1. Kissing the Witch by Emma Donoghue. A really intriguing collection of revisionist fairy tales with an erotic/sensual edge. Fascinating. I especially like the way she weaves the pieces together, connecting each of these mythological/fairy tale characters. (Of course, being Irish myself, I am partial to writers of Celtic heritage. Nevertheless, It's an excellent read.)

2. Becoming the Villainess by Jeannine Hall Gailey. What can I say about this wonderful collection of poems? It's just fabulous.

3. Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. I think I like to read Palahniuk because the characters in his books make me feel so normal by comparison. An easy read. (And I mean that as a complement. His prose is just so smooth, for lack of a better word.) I finished it in one sitting. Pretty good. And very twisted.

No comments: