Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Oh, Darwin....

Oh, Darwin. You crazy old kook.

While looking up some information about the lovely Field Museum downtown, which I've been dying to go to lately, I found this article. Apparently the museum has a new exhibit about Charles Darwin and his feelings about marriage. If you read the article, Darwin basically does exactly what Ross did on Friends - he makes a 'pros'/'cons' list about having a wife. Now, I suppose that Darwin's list could easily apply to husbands, but I can't help but feel sorry for his poor wife. Well, technically wife/cousin. Which is gross. Ew. I mean come on Charlie, "better than a dog, anyhow"? That's one of those almost-complements that really isn't very complementary. It's pretty terrible actually, and it makes me wonder if his wife ever saw her hubby's list. "Oh, well as long as I'm better than a dog"....

And let's hope that I'm interpreting the "slave" comment the wrong way. Eeek.

1 comment:

Susan said...

This article cracked me up.

While I agree that Darwin sounds even kookier than I would have imagined him, I can kind of understand his concerns over the impact of marriage and family on his book budget!