Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter and his maybe-okay-slightly Deathly Hallows

Judging from the title of this entry, you would be right in guessing that I've spent the majority of the weekend reading the new Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Of course, there were probably a bazillion other people doing exactly the same thing that I did, so the world is probably full of a lot of people with eye-strain and the need for a good nap. Friday night around 7:30ish, my youngest sis and I trekked out to Barnes & Noble, where I had reserved two books for us in like March or something (as early as I possibly could, haha!), and we spent our time waiting for midnight and discussing our many theories as to what was going to happen at the end of our beloved Harry Potter series. Here are some of the things that we were absolutely convinced would happen, and in the spirit of not revealing any spoilers whatsoever, I will just say that some of our theories may or may not have happened:

1) Snape is really with the good guys, even though he's done some mega bad things. Percy Weasley is also a spy who infiltrated the Ministry and is really a good guy too!
2) Ginny Weasley will kick some major ass because she is from an old, pureblood wizarding family, she is the 7th child of 7 kids, and (my sister and I believe, though we might be wrong) she is the first female Weasley child in seven generations. Seven is a super magical number in the Harry Potter world, so Ginny has to have some major role in book 7.
3) Ron and Hermione will get together finally. Oh yeah.
4) Draco Malfoy will have some giant and awesome epiphany by the end and completely join the good guys in fighting Voldemort, reconciling the Gryffindor and Slytherin houses and, of course, the ever-fighting Harry and Draco. Draco will then either die or will befriend Harry.
5) Harry will use some kind of magical object to communicate with people who have died.
6) the Pensieve will play a major role.
7) some cool people will die.

Okay, like I said, these were only a few of mine and Caitlin's HP theories! They aren't spoilers, because I would never ruin the book for anyone!

Anyway, the reason why I titled my entry the way that I did is because, to be quite honest, though the book was okay, I was pretty underwhelmed overall. I think when you are expecting something really great, something that will tie up all of the loose ends, that is complex and unexpected, and you only get something that is so-so, then it can be disappointing. I won't say anything further about it, only that I think that J.K. Rowling really missed out on some great opportunities to end her series fantastically rather than letting it go out on a fizzle.

No comments: