Saturday, September 1, 2007

To distract myself from studying....

Hey all. One week of classes down, fourteen or so to go. I'm already burnt out! I'm sure once graduation rolls around I'll be in this weird state of happy/sad, but right now I'm counting down the long weeks! I need a break already!

Our recent moon oddities continued last night when I looked into the sky and noticed that the moon looked as if it had quadrupled in size. I know this has something to do with water vapor magnifying the moon, but I wonder if this will impact my recent moon-induced string of bad luck. Let's hope not. I'm sure I'm in need of another card reading by the lovely Susan.

In other news, I've decided to go ahead and get that tattoo that I was talking about a couple of entries ago, and I picked a date to go get it done! And it didn't take much convincing to get my boyfriend pumped about going with me. He'll probably get another tattoo as well. He actually doesn't mind the burning pain. Let's hope I don't mind it either.....

I haven't had the chance to do much writing - quality writing, anyway - but I have managed to write a decent funny poem about Bear Grylls, who can be seen on the Discovery Channel show Man vs. Wild and in my wildest dreams. Who can't help but have a crush on a man who isn't afraid to scale the deepest crevasse of a glacier? The poem uses the words "rainslicker" and "flint" in a whole new way....

As for what I've been reading, outside of schoolwork, I've been trying to keep it light and easy. Right now I'm almost done with Twilight. Yes, the book is intended for young teenage girls, which I'm not, but my youngest sister C. is a teenage girl and she loved the book. Plus it has vampires and werewolves in it to even out all that high school angst. I actually like it, and it's refreshing compared to all of the dense art history reading I've had to do lately. I recommend it.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I just finished reading Twilight yesterday, and if it makes you feel any better, my teen years are a bit further in the past than yours!!

I've been on a YA novel kick lately--it's great escapism. In fact, in the last few weeks I've read not only Twilight, but also Speak and Acceleration (both "teen" novels).

Sometimes my brain needs a break. Besides, I tend to have several books going at once, so I like to mix things up a bit.

And I enjoyed Twilight, too.

Vampire stories rock.


P.S. Your comments on Bear Grylls have inspired me to begin working on a poem about MY favorite Discovery Channel celeb: Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs...I'm hoping to utilize words like "bat guano" and "sewage."

Is there any possible way the words like "poop" and "bull sperm" can be poetic?

I don't see why not...

... said...

Speak was fantastic.
I also loved Stargirl and Whatever Happened to Lani Garver?
I just started Twilight after hearing rave review after rave review.