Sunday, February 17, 2008

Some thoughts on the cost of higher education...

After recently explaining to my folks just how much a college degree costs these days (and believe me, they were shocked), I happened across this article.

My parents would (very much) like to see me attend graduate school. So would I, but I have student loans aplenty as it is (not to mention a mortgage, property taxes, and a special needs child at home as well), so I'm hesitant to consider taking on any extra debt...

Reading these stories makes me think avoiding additional loans is (at least for me) a wise decision, for now.

Frankly, I feel rather fortunate to have finished the BA and to be making the payments without having to forgo things like food and heat, after reading the more horrific stories in the article.

What I really need is to find a spiffy job that will pay for the MA...dare to dream...

At any rate, I do think students should be wary of the borrow to the max now, defer, defer, defer, worry about it later mentality...

No comments: